Located two blocks from Evanston's downtown business area, the shore of Lake Michigan, and Northwestern University, The Homestead's location simply couldn't be more convenient.
From Chicago O'Hare International Airport
1. Follow I-190 airport spur to I-294 Tri-State Tollway.
2. Take I-294 west toward Milwaukee (note: you will have to go through a toll plaza).
3. After 3 miles, exit at Dempster Street east.
4. Follow Dempster Street east for 9.6 miles.
5. Turn left (north) on Hinman Avenue.
6. The Homestead is located 4-1/2 blocks up Hinman Avenue on the right side (look for a red brick building with a white veranda).
By Cab or Private Car
Rather than take a Chicago taxi waiting at O'Hare, we recommend you call an Evanston cab that has flat rates. Two that we suggest are Northshore Cab (800-244-9200) and 303 Taxi (888-225-5303). Both companies usually have cabs waiting at the airport and will instruct you as to where to be met.
For especially comfortable, though somewhat more expensive, transportation, contact Bill Greaves Transportation Service (847 276-8387). They do an excellent job of meeting your needs. Advanced reservations recommended.
From Chicago Midway Airport
1. Take Cicero Avenue north for 2 miles to I-55 Stevenson Expressway.
2. Take I-55 north toward downtown Chicago.
3. After 5 miles, exit onto westbound I-94 toward Wisconsin.
4. Follow I-94 for 15 miles to Dempster Street East (Exit 37B).
5. Follow Dempster Street east for 4.3 miles.
6. Turn left (north) on Hinman Avenue.
7. The Homestead is located 4-1/2 blocks up Hinman Avenue on the right side (look for a red brick building with a white veranda).
By Cab or Private Car
Evanston cabs and livery services also serve Midway Airport. (See above "By Cab or Private Car" from O'Hare Airport)
From Interstate 94
1. Exit at Dempster Street East (Exit 37B).
2. Follow Dempster Street east for 4.3 miles.
3. Turn left (north) on Hinman Avenue.
4. The Homestead is located 4-1/2 blocks up Hinman Avenue on the right side (look for a red brick building with a white veranda).
From Downtown Chicago via Lake Shore Drive
North on Lake Shore Drive (Route 41) to the point where limited access ends at the first stoplight. At that stoplight turn right onto Sheridan Road. Follow Sheridan Road north 0.9 miles to an obligatory, 90 degree left turn. Two and a half blocks after it turns left (and just after passing under a viaduct) Sheridan Road turns right and heads north to Evanston. After 1.7 miles you are required to turn right to go around a cemetery. At the first stoplight after the cemetery turn right. Sheridan Road will begin to make 90 degree left and right turns working its way through Evanston. The fourth stoplight after the cemetery is Dempster Street. Turn left on Dempster Street two blocks to Hinman Avenue. Turn right on Hinman Avenue 4 ½ blocks (one of which is very short) to The Homestead, the red brick building with a white veranda on the right.
For general information on getting to Evanston via public transportation from a variety of locations, visit the Chicago's North Shore Convention & Visitors Bureau Web site at www.visitchicagonorthshore.com.